Sutter Health Registered Nurse - PACU / Pre-Op Nurse, ASC (Full Time) in Yuba City, California
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION :
The PREOP/ PACU Nurse performs patient assessment, planning, treatment and teaching in the preoperative and postoperative units.As a nursing professional, this position uses the nursing process to provide patient care. This position participates with other facility team members to provide optimal patient care and efficient patient flow, taking into consideration the specific needs for patients at all stages of life.
- Admits and prepares patients for surgery and/or procedures
· Assures patient comprehension of the procedure. This may include communication with family or support persons of the patient.
· Co-ordinates with business office staff for maintaining an efficient patient flow.
· Provides information and education to the patient.
· Completes nursing assessment, planning, teaching and documentation.
· Prepares patient for surgery and ensures surgical site is marked by the surgeon and the surgical checklist is complete.
· Performs venipuncture as necessary for IV starts and administers medications as ordered by a physician.
- Develops the nursing care plan.
· Assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the patient care provided.
· Makes assignments, teaches, and supervises care given by ancillary personnel.
· Administers and controls narcotics and medications as appropriate.
· Documents the patient care provided and patient response to care.
· Evaluates outcomes and adjusts nursing care plan as necessary in consultation with other nursing staff and physicians.
- Recovers the patient following anesthesia and/or sedation
· Assesses the patient’s recovering for sedation and/or anesthesia and makes appropriate judgments for nursing intervention. Recognizes life threatening arrhythmias and initiates appropriate therapy and/or assures assistance.
· Monitors the patient’s level of consciousness through communication and appropriate observation of blood pressure, O2 saturation, cardiac and respiratory status.
· Assesses patient readiness for discharge, using discharge criteria.
· Prepares patient for discharge with post-operative instruction and teaching; discharges patient per appropriate orders.
- Adheres to established surgery center safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
· Demonstrates the competent usage of proper body mechanics in all activities.
· Identifies potentially unsafe conditions and notifies manager.
· Completes all employee/patient incident documentation in a thorough and timely manner, as required by facility policy.
· Observes infection control practices, hand washing and standard precautions, per policy
· Demonstrates complete understanding of established emergency procedures and provides appropriate support during emergency situations.
· Participates in quality/safety activities
- Participates as a member of the Center team to promote a positive working environment, and provides back-up support when requested or necessary.
· Provides orientation and training to new staff
· Requests and stocks supplies
· Provides direction to others and assists with patient transport and positioning.
· Assists with developing and writing policies and procedures by identifying problem areas and making suggestions for change.
· Performs other duties, as assigned.
Participates in staff meetings, committees, staff development and educational programs to meet personal, professional, facility certification and regulatory requirements as defined in licensure requirements, Medicare, and the accreditation organization.
Adheres to facility Standards of Business Conduct and HIPAA privacy and security requirements
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Must have a valid current license to practice nursing in the State of California.
A Bachelor’s degree in nursing is preferred.
· Significant experience working in a PREOP/PACU supporting multi-specialties, preferably in an ambulatory surgery center is required. This level of experience is typically achieved in approximately three years.
· Documented experience in the care of the pediatric patient in the PRE/PACU setting. This level of experience is typically achieved in approximately 3 years.
Demonstrated knowledge and interpersonal skills necessary to tactfully interact with diverse health professionals, physicians and patients.
Extensive knowledge of recommended Peri-Anesthesia standards/ practices and infection control.
Ability to perform responsibilities with a bio, psycho, social and technical approach incorporating those theories with the learned principles underlying nursing care and treatment.
Capable of accepting constructive and instructive criticism and implement corrective action.
Current knowledge regarding equipment utilized in the PACU
Must have a working knowledge of applicable regulations and standards.
· Demonstrated skills in written and verbal communications, functional supervision/ delegation and human relations is required
· Must be a flexible, creative individual who is open to change along with the ability to handle multiple priorities.
· Requires the ability to operate and trouble-shoot PACU equipment.
· ACLS/PALS required.
Basic computer skills are required.
Primary Location: California, Greater Sacramento Area, Yuba City
Organization: Sutter Medical Foundation - North
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.