National Lutheran Communities and Services Fitness Specialist - Full-Time 1st Shift in Winchester, Virginia
In accordance with National Lutheran’s We Care philosophy, the Guiding Principle Core Values, and in alignment with the NLCS culture, the Fitness Specialist is responsible and accountable for the following:
Reporting to the Wellness Program Manager, the Fitness Specialist assists in providing an ongoing comprehensive fitness program of activities to meet the needs and interests of residents. This may include planning and implementing classes, one-on-one sessions and coordinating with other departments. This position must exemplify the community philosophy and vision of wellness, supporting annual plans and goals. Serves as back-up Lifeguard and Pool Operator.
- Support comprehensive and quality wellness programming and related projects and events that nurture the body, mind and spirit in partnership with Life Enrichment department.
- Educate and provide participants with current information on areas of fitness and wellness.
- Provide program instruction and teach classes as per certifications.
- Provide supervision and support of Fitness Center, understanding proper use of fitness equipment and machines.
- Promoting teamwork, assist other fitness and wellness staff and contractors as needed.
- Open, maintain and close the Center following established procedures.
- Serve as Lifeguard as needed.
- Assist in maintaining membership information, inventories, purchasing and other administrative tasks of Center.
- Support maintenance of attendance records and statistics regarding all residents, guests and staff involved in fitness and aquatics programs.
- Support established process/system to assess resident wellness, making program recommendations based on results.
- Build relationships with residents, encouraging their participation in physical activity and adherence to personal wellness and fitness goals.
- Follow established process to provide referrals to other appropriate departments and/or professional services.
- Assist with promotion of fitness and wellness programs.
- Support incentive programs to promote retention.
- Provide tours, orientation and ongoing Center support to residents, guests and staff.
- Administer rules and policies of the Center.
- Provide a safe and clean environment for residents, guests and staff, ensuring adherence to safety and cleanliness standards at all times for self and all users of the Center.
- Assist with preventative maintenance and cleanliness of exercise and pool/spa equipment.
- Respond quickly to all emergency situations following established procedures; complete any necessary reports or paperwork following the emergency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS :
- Completion of high school. Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Required certifications to include: First Aid/CPR/AED, Certified Pool Operator (CPO), Lifeguard.
- National fitness certifications from an accredited organization(s) as group exercise instructor and/or personal trainer.
- Previous experience in leading group fitness classes.
- Experience in working with senior adults (geriatric population) preferred.
- Basic practical knowledge of human anatomy and kinesiology.
- Flexible scheduling options to include early evening and weekend hours.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and motivational with individuals and groups.
- Organized and creative.
- Computer literacy required.
- Ability to read, write and speak well using the English language.