National Lutheran Communities and Services Cook - Full-Time in Winchester, Virginia
Under the direction of the Executive Chef/Director of Dining Services; the Cook performs tasks in support of dining services operations.
BASIC JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a wide variety of complex and routine tasks in the preparation, service and delivery of food products and/or service of dining services operations. Assume lead worker duties when required.
- Support and adhere to all policies, procedures, guidelines and standards of NLCS.
- Administers and adheres to food preparation, delivery, and storage standards according to county, state, federal, and HACCP regulations.
- Participates in food production.
- Produce meals according to food production worksheet and standardized recipes, adjusting as necessary.
- Participates in pre-preparations for next day’s meals.
- Completes sanitation of production work areas and equipment.
- Detects and immediately reports improperly prepared food or food that does not meet NLCS and regulatory standards. Also reports defective/damaged food and supplies inventory to designated supervisor.
- Adheres to all NLCS kitchen policies and procedures to include those related to equipment operation, food stock rotation, safe food handling practices, food preparation and storage.
- Assist in storage of supplies and food products as required; conduct physical inventories and maintain inventory records; unload and/or store incoming supplies and equipment as directed. Notify supervisor of identified food, supplies or equipment needs.
- Prepare and set up food items to be delivered to catering functions as needed. Transport food carts to assigned facility locations.
Other duties as required. RESIDENT CARE:
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Dining Services, supports dining services operations according to established standards and procedures; taking into account any special requirements.
Participates in the providing high level dining services at all times. Works closely with Dining Services Team to ensure the highest level of dining services to resident, visitors and NLCS employees. JOB QUALIFICATION:
High school graduate or equivalent education is preferred.
- One year experience in commercial cooking or health care food preparation is preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate safe food handling practices; an awareness of the requirements for careful handling and economy of food and kitchen processes.
- Background check(s) consisting of a sworn statement or affirmation and criminal history check free of barrier crimes.
- Must be considerate and respectful of the rights, dignity and sensitivities of aged and disabled persons.
- Must be clean and well-groomed.
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing as applicable to their job responsibilities.
- Numerical ability necessary to make various computations in keeping records and in recipe preparation.
- Ability to operate food service equipment; able to handle practice and follow safety procedures for using equipment and supplies.
- Willingness to perform routine, repetitive tasks with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to read, understand and follow recipe directions, diet orders and work assignments. Able to troubleshoot equipment malfunctions
- Ability to communicate at all levels, provide instruction and train other employees as required.