Volunteers of America-Greater New York Assistant Teacher in United States
The Teacher Assistant assist the classroom teacher in all aspects involving instruction, including documenting progress, and ensuring the safety of students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School graduate and New York State Certification as a Teacher Assistant.
- Work with individual children or groups of children on special instructional projects and activities as planned in conjunction with the teacher.
- Write individual anecdotal records and/or keep record of discrete trial instruction of students by providing the teacher with information about the children that will assist the teacher in the development of appropriate learning experiences.
- Meet with teacher to plan instructional activities and materials thereby utilizing their own special skills and abilities by assisting in instructional programs in such areas as: arts, crafts, music and similar subjects.
- Escort students to and from the school buses at arrival and dismissal time.Escort students
- Communicate with parents verbally and in writing under the direction of the teacher, or in absence of the teacher.
- Participate in staff development activities.
- Attend team meeting conferences as appropriate.
Assume the position of teacher-in-charge of a classroom for up to 40 days during the school in the absence of a certified classroom teacher. EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
Group activities are planned and conducted efficiently
- Children's progress is appropriately document.
- Daily activities are well planned and coordinated.
- Students arrive promptly to their classes and safety of children is maintained in the building.
- Open communication is promoted between teachers and parents.
- Staff is appropriately trained.
- Essential conferences are attended.
- Adhere to NY State Education Department regulations in the event of a teacher’s absence. CLOSING STATEMENT:
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Title: Assistant Teacher
Program Name: New Hope Shelter
Location: Confidential Location