RELX Group Software Engineering Lead in India
Software Engineering Lead
Who are we?
Elsevier at https://elsevier.com/ is a world-leading provider of information solutions that help you make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make groundbreaking discoveries in science, health, and technology. We serve researchers, professionals, and clinicians, through the application of technology and analytics to content, empowering them to create knowledge, contribute to social progress, and enhance human well being. We are delivering next-generation professional information solutions and technology to our broad client base – and we need a team of exceptional sales leaders and professionals to join us on the journey.
Elsevier publish over 2,500 journals at https://www.elsevier.com/journals/title/all and more than 33,000 book titles at https://www.elsevier.com/books/title/all , and provide web-based, digital solutions — among them ScienceDirect at https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/sciencedirect , Scopus at https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/scopus , Evolve at http://evolve.elsevier.com/ , Knovel at https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/knovel-engineering-information , Reaxys at https://www.elsevier.com/solutions/reaxys and Clinical Key at https://www.clinicalkey.com/ .
Software Engineering Lead - S 07
Purpose of the job:
Elsevier is in the midst of a transformation, evolving from a publishing company that assures quality control in scientific output (although this will remain important) into a researcher productivity & analytics company that assures better outcomes in every interaction within the scientific world. We are focused on building an integrated, social and personal toolset that delivers differential value to researchers and research entities in helping them with the challenges they face. The linking of our traditional strengths of our publishing business to leading edge technology is critical to our success.
The Elsevier Research Products division focuses on enhancing the performance of Elsevier’s online Researcher Platforms, specifically those devoted to Publishing (ScienceDirect, Health Advance, EVISE, and more), research enablement (Scopus, Mendeley) and Research Intelligence (SciVal, Pure, and more). We drive both the integration and the personalization of this portfolio, creating an interoperable environment that can be customized to meet the specific needs of researchers.
Search center of excellence for big data and search, is engaged in creating a world-class big data, machine-learning and search platform, the primary asset of Elsevier Research Products.
This is a newly-recreated role within a newly-created global center of excellence for search consisting of our own in-house search engineers and supported by specialists from the world’s leading search consulting companies. You will apply your deep experience of and enthusiasm for the latest massively parallel search technologies to power the discoverability of our scientific and academic content by researchers world-wide. This is a newly-recreated role in a global center of excellence for Scopus product based in Chennai consisting of search engineers. You will apply your deep experience and enthusiasm for the latest parallel search technologies to power the discoverability of our scientific and academic content by researchers world-wide.
Key Result Area:
Developingand improving the customer search experience across our research products.Designing next-generation search capabilities using the latest very-large-scaleand distributed cloud platforms
· Design and development Search products in Apache Solr and Web scale Java technologies.
· Operate in various development environments (Agile, Waterfall, etc.) while collaborating with key stakeholders.
· Build data Ingestion pipelines, use ETL
· Work on Indexing, including relevancy configuration and tuning
· Construct complex search queries and filters
· Perform faceted search, scoped search, proximity search
· Write and review portions of detailed specifications for the development of system components of moderate complexity.
· Complete complex bug fixes.
Buildingup our in-house search competencies and reducing reliance on third-parties.Advising multiple product teams on search architecture, design and technologychoices. Mentoring junior team members and new hires
•Serve as the initial point of escalation for software development issues within specific area of responsibility.
• Interface with other technical personnel or team members to finalize requirements.
• Work closely with other development team members to understand moderately complex product requirements and translate them into software designs.
• Successfully implement development processes, coding best practices, and code reviews.
• Mentor and/or train entry-level software engineers as directed by department management, ensuring they are knowledgeable in critical aspects of their roles.
• Keep abreast of new technology developments.
• Carry out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Ensure all staff is provided with training and resources needed to perform their jobs to the most outstanding degree possible. Ensure all staff is provided with frequent feedback and coaching in order to meet and exceed individual and team performance goals consistently.
• Manage and encourage new ideas from staff to foster improvements through innovations.
• Empower the staff to be accountable and responsible for their own actions and decisions.
• Willingness to provide 3rd-level support for production systems including, on rare occasions, out-of-hours support
• Experience of information security regulations and measures
Displays High Integrity and Honesty
Always follows rules and does what is expected.
Does what s/he says s/he will do.
Remembers commitments and promises.
Is honest and ethical in decision making.
Is trusted by others to do the right thing.
Is fair and honest in how s/he treats others.
Technical and Professional Expertise
Applies a detailed understanding of own work and relates effectively to overall business context.
Can be depended upon by manager and peers for technical or professional advice.
Delivers within own role to make an important contribution to the team.
Is able to resolve technical issues or questions quickly and effectively.
Connects Group to Outside World
Regularly connects with customers to gather feedback on current activities and relationship with business.
Uses knowledge and feedback from a customer perspective to improve the team’s service/ product.
Regularly attends external meetings to represent the unit and that will benefit the business.
Encourages team to respond quickly to customer needs and concerns.
Understands and applies change management methodology to change initiatives.
Looks for ways to improve own work processes.
Plans ahead to prepare for changes that may affect the business or team.
Maintains a positive outlook in the face of a changing environment.
Is able to clarify how changes affect individual, team and wider division.
Actively seeks out ways to continually improve team activities.
Solves Problems and Analyzes Issues
Is able to ask effective questions and collect facts from multiple sources in order to solve problems.
Is able to effectively identify and analyze problems and propose solutions.
Effectively manages day today issues and problems without intervention.
Independently addresses unexpected situations.
Confident in taking action and removing obstacles to action.
Can be counted on to follow through on actions.
Encourages others to take their own initiative when faced with a problem.
Provides appropriate amount of information, resources and support without undermining the individual’s full ownership of objectives and their success.
Establishes rapport with others on the team and across teams.
Works effectively with others to get work done.
Handles difficult situations, minimizing conflict.
Treats all individuals with respect.
Functional and Technical competencies:
• At least 8 years of software design and development experience in Java Technologies
• Demonstrable experience with one of the following major search engine technologies:
o Solr Cloud + Lucene
o Elastic Search + Lucene
• Expertise in Microservice Architecture with Java (v7 and above), Spring (v3 and above)
• Solid java programming skills
• Experience with deployment on AWS
• Experience implementing CI/CD
• Scrum agile experience
• Ingestion pipelines and ETL
• Indexing, including relevancy configuration and tuning
Education,Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
•8+ years of Design and Development experience
• BE Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent experience required, advanced degree preferred