Defense Threat Reduction Agency Student Trainee (Program Support) in Travis AFB, California
This position is part of Defense Threat Reduction Agency. Announcement will stay open through April 30, 2019 or until all positions have been filled. Applicants will be reviewed every 2 weeks as requested.
Learn more about this agency
As a Student Trainee (Program Support) at the GS-0399-3/4/5/6/7 some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Incumbent performs a broad range of clerical duties including typing, filing, answering routine customer questions, compiling data, preparing or making changes to documents and/or forms, performing routine mathematical calculations, conducting basic research, checking documents for errors, verifying discrepancies with appropriate individual(s), entering data into automated systems, preparing/formatting charts/graphs/reports, monitoring/updating status and assisting higher level employees in support of various administrative programs.
- Performing many different tasks in processing different kinds of forms or transactions; work requires good understanding of structure and workflow in the organization served.
- #### Job family (Series)
0399 Administration And Office Support Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents (See How To Apply)
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation. SECRET security clearance is required.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- Work Schedule: Fulltime or Part Time
- Overtime: None
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Financial Disclosure: Not Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is telework eligible
- Must be enrolled in college/university throughout internship
- Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http://www.sss.gov for more information.
- Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student.
- Remain in good academic standing in accordance with Participant Agreement.
- Transcript must state major, earned credit hours, and cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0.
- This position is in the excepted service.
To qualify you must meet the eligibility and education requirements. Your qualifications are evaluated based upon your total amount of COMPLETED education
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be a citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted to the United States as a permanent resident or otherwise authorized to be employed.
Current students enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate. Students must be taking at least half-time course load, as defined by your school and remain in good academic standing in accordance with the Pathways Participant Agreement. Students must be enrolled with at least 6 semester hours or 9 credit hours, with a GPA of at least 2.0
Qualification requirements: GS-3: 6 months general experience or a high school graduation or equivalent. GS-4: One year general experience or one year above high school GS-5: Two years general experience or 4 years above high school.
Specialized Experience requirement for GS-6 and GS-7 grade levels:
GS-6:One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 grade level/pay band in the federal service (experience may have been gained in the private sector) which has given me the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled (as described in the Qualification Requirements section.) Examples of specialized experience are: Performing a range of clerical duties(such as: typing, filing, answering routine customer questions, compiling data, preparing or making changes to documents and/or forms); Assisting higher level employees in conducting studies.
GS-7:One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level/pay band in the federal service (experience may have been gained in the private sector) which has given me the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled (as described in the Qualification Requirements section.) Examples of specialized experience are: Performing a broad range of clerical duties (such as: typing, filing, answering routine customer questions, compiling data, preparing or making changes to documents and/or forms); Conducting studies in order to analyze, identify, and recommend solutions to administrative problems.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
GS-06 and GS-07 grade levels: there is no substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience.
You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at time of application. You must submit documentation showing that you will be currently enrolled and that you will be a student during the internship.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: Foreign Education
Appointments can be extended beyond 1 year. There is no promotion potential
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria when applying for the position.
For more information, please visit General Application Information and Definitions http://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Careers/downloads/DoDGenAppInfo.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and supporting documents, to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant work experiences as it relates to fundamental competencies, identified below, required for this position.
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
Based on the results of this evaluation, you will be placed in one of the following quality categories:
Best Qualified:This highest category will be used for those candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position, including any selective placement factors and/or appropriate quality ranking factor(s), as determined by the job analysis. **Highly Qualified:This higher category will be used for those candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that exceed the minimum qualifications of the position, including any selective placement factors and/or appropriate quality ranking factor(s) as determined by the job analysis. Qualified:This lowest category will be used for those candidates that meet the minimum qualifications of the position, including all selective placement factors and appropriate quality ranking factor(s) and are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the position. Candidates may require extensive training and/or orientation in order to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position. http://www.opm.gov/HiringReform/HiringReformRequirements/CategoryRating/index.aspx
Names of the candidates in the Best Qualified category will be sent first to the hiring manager for employment consideration. Applicants in other categories will be referred in accordance with category rating procedures.
Veterans Preference:If you are entitled to veterans preference, you should indicate the type of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans' preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are entitled to veterans' preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. Qualified veterans' preference eligible with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job. For information on entitlement see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
- Other supporting documents:
- TRANSCRIPTS AND/OR PROOF OF ENROLLMENT: Unofficial transcripts are required to verify current degree program, successfully completed course work, and cumulative GPA. Your transcripts MUST clearly identify your major, earned credit hours, and cumulative GPA. If you are changing schools and only have an acceptance letter from the new school, you are required to provide transcripts from your previous school along with the acceptance letter from the school you will attend. If your transcripts do not state your major and degree program, you must submit a letter on school letterhead identifying your major and degree program. If selected, official transcripts will be required. Note: If you are a recent graduate, you must also show proof of enrollment in another degree or certificate program to be considered.
- CURRENT CLASS SCHEDULE: You must submit your current class schedule to verify you are taking at least half-time course load. If current term has been completed, you must provide your class schedule for the next enrolled term.
- DD-214, SF-15 Form and VA letter, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty from Veterans for consideration under Veteran hiring authorities
PLEASE REVIEW the following LINK for additional documents you need to provide: http://www.dla.mil/Careers/SearchApply/Downloads.aspx.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To preview the questionnaire, please go to https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10330259.
Agency contact information
DE Applicant Inquires
Defense Threat Reduction Agency 8725 JOHN J KINGMAN ROAD MSC 6201 FT BELVOIR, VA 22060-6201 US
Learn more about this agency
Once you successfully complete the application process, you will receive a notification of receipt. Your application package will be reviewed to ensure you meet the basic eligibility and qualifications requirements, and you will receive a notification. A review will be made of your online questionnaire and the documentation you submitted to support your responses. A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/513683500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 10/12/2018 to 04/30/2019
Pay scale & grade: GS 3 - 7
Salary: $11.04 to $22.33 per hour Locality will be added based on duty location
Appointment type: Internships - NTE 1 year
Work schedule: Multiple Schedules