Trinity Health Pharmacy Technician II Part-Time in Sioux City, Iowa
Under direct supervision, prepares medication orders, prescriptions, unit dosages and sterile IV products. Assists in maintenance of inventory levels of supplies and equipment. Ensures pharmacist verification of all work performed. Trains new employees and other trainees in daily operations of their responsibility. Adheres to the principles of Service Excellence Guiding Behaviors and the philosophy and mission of Mercy in all aspects of job performance.
*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:*
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide service/care appropriate to the age of the patients served, in accordance with Mercy standards.
- Prepares unit dose medications by repackaging, following established departmental procedures.
- Packages and labels medications where appropriate.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the use of the pharmacy outpatient computer system, including but not limited to; prescription preparation, third party billing and reversal of claims.
- Maintains inventory of drugs and supplies. Maintains records as requested. Appropriately receives and documents shipments of pharmaceuticals and supplies, unpacks, prices and properly places them into inventory.
- Maintains pharmacy areas in a clean and orderly manner.
- Completely and efficiently fills and delivers medications, orders and supplies to and from patient care units and ancillary departments.
- Maintains high level of accuracy essential in preparation of IV admixture and other sterile products by monitoring accuracy level and following standard practices.
- Prepares I.V. admixtures as well as any other sterile preparation encountered in pharmacy setting according to departmental policies.
- Prepares IV chemotherapy admixtures utilizing chemo batch process according to departmental policies.
- Prepares home health admixtures according to established departmental policies as needed.
- Answers telephone and in person inquiries from nursing staff with regard to IV orders, delivery times, locations, etc. Closely communicates with nursing units in order to maintain adequate IV solution inventory levels.
- Maintains confidential records through filling and preparation of orders and other medication information.
- Demonstrates proficiency in use of hospital-automated medication dispensing system (Pyxis).
- Accurately fills unit dose patient medication drawers as assigned.
- Demonstrates proficiency in use of departmental telephone system including but not limited to; call transfer, paging, and message taking.
- Demonstrates proficiency in effective communication with patients, general public, hospital personnel and fellow employees, in person and via telephone.
- Demonstrates proficiency in computer skills for area of responsibility.
- Demonstrates proficiency in use of equipment used in primary practice area, including but not limited to use of the Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) compounder.
- Completes monthly inspections of area of responsibility on time.
- Performs limited duties of pharmacy bookkeeper as assigned.
- Is knowledgeable of and actively participates in improving patient safety and reducing risk to patients. Complies with Safety and Infection Control Policies and Procedures.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Mercy and Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Mercy and Trinity Health’s Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Maintains confidentiality of information pertaining to clients, physicians, employees, and Mercy business.
- Demonstrates general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Must have GED or High School Diploma, & IPA Certification.
- Must have basic math and typing skills.
- Must have successfully completed pharmacy technician training program.
- Must have completed technician-training objectives in; sterile product formulation, oncology product formulation, centralized pharmacy services.
- Previous experience in pharmacy setting helpful, but not required.
- Medical and/or science background helpful, but not required.
- Must have a general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Mercy and Trinity Health.
Job Number: 00196046
Location: Sioux City, IA
Organization Name: MercyOne - Sioux City
Facility: MMCIA - MMC South Building
Employment Type: Part time