Virginia Commonwealth University Assistant Professor in Richmond, Virginia
School/Unit: College of Humanities and Sciences
Rank: Assistant Professor
Department: School Of World Studies
Purpose of Position:
The chief purpose of the position is to contribute to the development and implementation of the new Bachelor of Arts degree in Global and International Studies through teaching and research on Jewish culture, religion, and life and by overseeing the endowed program in Judaic Studies.
The principal responsibilities for this position are: - Contribute to the development of the new BA in Global and International Studies. - Teach and conduct research on Jewish culture, religion, and life. - Oversee the endowed program in Judaic Studies. - Develop new courses in support of the BA in Global and International Studies. - The successful candidate may be considered for the endowed professorship in Judaic Studies.
- PhD in International Studies, Judaic Studies, History, Religious Studies, or related field in hand by August 2019.
- A demonstrable potential for excellence in scholarship.
- A record of successful university teaching at the undergraduate level, ideally in a public urban university like VCU.
- Experience stewarding endowed funds, fundraising, and overseeing an endowed program.
- Ability to teach a range of Judaic Studies courses.
- Ability to develop new courses in support of the BA in Global and International Studies
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering the development of a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment is required.
- Research and teaching interest in matters of identity, diversity, and community, Black-Jewish relations, and/or experience with curriculum that demonstrates the value of the humanities as a vital component of 21st century education.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.vcujobs.com
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran's status, political affiliation or disability.