Freddie Mac Database Admin, Sr in Reston, Virginia
Reston, VA 2
Full Time/Part Time:
Database Operations seeking Senior Database Administrator who is responsible for database administration in a fast-paced operations environment supporting 24x7 business critical applications using analytical and transactional databases primarily on Sybase and secondary level on MS SQL databases. Database Administrator will be able to perform troubleshooting any database issues, performance analysis, ensuring database security, evaluating new database trends and technologies, developing and testing Unix shell scripts, PERL scripting and coding required for database administration and associated database tools.
Your Work Falls into Four Primary Categories:
• Provide DBA support on all aspects of databases administration including backup/recovery, replication, deployment and real time production troubleshooting responsibilities on Sybase databases
• Install, configure, monitor, upgrade and maintain database in production and non-production environments
• Provide 24x7 on call DBA support for production environment on rotation and need basis
• Provide Database deployment support for Test and Production environments
• Diagnose and address database performance issues using performance monitors and various tuning techniques
• Interact with Storage and Systems administrators on Linux/Unix/VM operating systems issues related to Databases
• Able to write database maintenance and automation scripts
• Configure and maintain Database High availability
• Support data guard replication
• Troubleshoot database production problems and database connectivity issues
• Implement DR solutions
• Ability to work well as a team and as an individual with minimal supervision
Best Practice Research and External Support:
• Maintain knowledge database articles.
• Develop training materials and conduct training sessions on the supported Tools and its processes.
• Establish processes and standards around enterprise ALM tools administration.
Team Management and Leadership:
• Work as a production and non-production support DBA, both independently and as a team.
• Engage with internal customers and support teams.
• Positively adapt to a rapidly growing and changing environment, while working under pressure.
• Serve as a champion for change.
• Demonstrate ability to use Lean/Agile delivery practices to improve teams, quality, and reliability.
• Perform other tasks as assigned.
Operations and Technology:
• Provide quality database admin support for Sybase and other database platforms both on-prem and on-cloud.
• Participate in the upgrades and patch fixes of supported tools, and partner with other IT staff to coordinate infrastructure maintenance and system migrations.
• Develop automated scripts using Unix Shell scripts, Python, etc. for DBA functions and develop home grown utilities, tools and integrations.
• Develop requirements, test scripts and lead/participate in test execution for supported Tool upgrade projects.
Work Location Zip Code:
• More than 7 years of experience in Database administration
• Solid understanding of Database technology – Replication
• Extensive Database performance tuning experience
• Deep knowledge of industry-standard, enterprise-class best practices for a large database environment
• Good understanding of Linux/VM platform
• Deep understanding of HA, DR Database and storage technologies like Data replication, SRDF/non-SRDF
• Experience implementing, supporting and auditing database security
• Experience with Unix/Linux OS platform and Unix Shell/Perl scripting and automation
Key to success in this role
Works under minimal supervision, adept at multi-tasking with prompt in response
Follows established directions from Manager. Able to provide technical guidance to the team.
Ability to work with and collaborate across teams.
Good communication skills and team player.
Proactive in nature with responsibility as primary goal.
Innovative in providing solutions, likes to take on challenges with calculated risk.
Quick learner of new technologies and tools.
Not a just a DBA, but with a mindset to think holistically to build a reliable, flexible, and well performing database system.
Top 3 Personal Competencies to possess
Customer Focus -Engage with customers to understand and deliver on support needs
Seek and Embrace Change – Continuously improve work processes rather than accepting the status quo
Growth and Development – Know or learn what is needed to deliver results and successfully compete
Work Location City:
Database Admin, Sr
• Experience supporting MS SQL databases platform
• Experience with Big Data, NoSQL database technologies such as MongoDB, HBase, etc.
• Experience with Database monitoring tools such as Foglight
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience working in virtual environment using VMware
• Database performance tuning skills
• Database vendor certification
Today, Freddie Mac makes home possible for one in four home borrowers and is one of the largest sources of financing for multifamily housing. Join our smart, creative and dedicated team and you’ll do important work for the housing finance system and make a difference in the lives of others. Freddie Mac is an equal opportunity and top diversity employer. EOE, M/F/D/V.
Work Location State:
Information Technology (IT)