Stephen F. Austin State University Administrative Assistant in Nacogdoches, Texas
Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details. Other documents may include transcripts or letters of recommendation.
Job Title Administrative Assistant
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
General Job Description
This is an administrative support position responsible for performing complex secretarial and/or administrative work, usually reporting directly to a department administrator. Work involves planning, organizing, and performing a wide variety of administrative and bookkeeping activities and may require supervision of one or more clerical assistants in carrying out the details of the work. Work often involves handling confidential and sensitive material. Work may require extensive interaction with students and planning of individual degree programs, and assisting in the development of departmental policies and procedures. Responsible for gathering data, maintaining files, and processing a variety of records and reports for university administration and various state agencies. Requires frequent contact with other university or state agencies and the general public. Work is performed under general supervision and is subject to review through conferences with the administrator. May schedule and coordinate luncheons, meetings and conferences. May supervise student employees. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists administrator in the development of departmental policies and procedures.
- Interprets policies and explains procedures relating to the activities of the department.
- May maintain departmental bookkeeping/accounting, including billing.
- Prepares special and routine reports, and maintains departmental records.
- Handles routine and confidential correspondence.
- Utilizes a high level of skill in the preparation of reports, special studies and similar documents.
- May compile statistical data and prepare various studies of departmental activities.
- May assist in counseling students and providing information relating to the function of the department.
- May act in administrator’s behalf in his/her absence.
- May use a computer terminal for typing, storage and retrieval of information.
- May complete degree plans and provide course curriculum information where applicable and counsel students accordingly.
- May train and supervise a small clerical staff in performing routine duties.
- May take and transcribe dictation as required.
- May approve and sign requisitions, vouchers and other routine documents
Non-Essential Job Functions
- May receive and/or supervise the receipt of payments from student and others for departmentally sponsored activities.
- May instruct or supervise others in computer terminal usage.
- May be involved in screening and evaluating applicants for departmental clerical positions.
- May act as receptionist.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Thorough knowledge of, or ability to learn, university and departmental policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of, or ability to learn, university and departmental degree requirements.
- Knowledge of modern office procedures and related office equipment.
- Skill in operation of office equipment including, but not limited to, typewriter, dictaphone or transcribing equipment, calculator, fax machine, and computer terminal.
- Skill in typing with minimal errors.
- Ability to establish and maintain a good rapport with university faculty and staff, students and the general public.
- Ability to work independently of supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with students, university faculty and staff and the general public.
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential information.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Ability to learn office and university-specific software.
- Ability to take and transcribe dictation.
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Required Experience and Training
Four years of related experience is required. Experience in general office practices and procedures is required. Experience in use of computer (word processing, database and spreadsheet applications) is required.
College credits relating to specific job duties preferred.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
This is a security-sensitive position subject to criminal record check. This is an IT-sensitive position subject to the Computer and Network Security policy.
Min Pay Rate
Mid Pay Rate
Salary Information Salary Grade - 18
Specific Job Requirements/Duties for this Posting
Must work three (3) Saturdays per year in the months of December, May and August for commencement ceremony duties.
Participate in recruitment and retention activities as appropriate.
Is Background Check Required? Yes
Benefit and Retirement Eligibility
This position is eligible for participation in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) retirement plan, subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S2018-284
Candidates Eligible to Apply Open to current SFA employees only
Number of Positions Available 1
Posted Date 11/29/2018
Review Start Date
Close Date 12/11/2018
Work Schedule 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday - Friday
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Other documents may include transcripts or letters of recommendation.
Posting Quick Link http://careers.sfasu.edu/postings/3916
Contact Name Lynda Langham
Contact Phone (936) 468-2326
Contact Email email@example.com
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Which of the following best represents your education background?
Attended school but did not receive High School Diploma or GED
Completed High School Diploma or GED
Completed Associate's Degree or two years of college
Completed Bachelor's Degree
Completed Master's Degree
Completed Doctoral Degree or ABD
Which of the following best represents the number of years experience you possess relating to the job to which you are applying?
Less than two years
Two to three years
Four to five years
Six to seven years
Eight to nine years
Ten or more years
Are you a current employee of the university?
Documents Needed To Apply
List of References
Letter of Recommendation