St. Mary's Good Samaritan Institutional Pharmacy Technician I-N in Madison, Wisconsin
Under the general direction of the Director of Pharmacy/Pharmacy Supervisor, this position is responsible for the technical operation of the drug distribution system. Under the supervision of a pharmacist and in coordination with other technicians, this position prepares unit-dose and intravenous medications for dispensing to patients; Makes scheduled deliveries to patient care areas; Sets up, packages, and labels medication doses; and maintains stock levels of medications.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: (A) Performs job functions in accordance with the policies outlined of the Pharmacy Department. (B) Interact with staff and patients and the public in a courteous and respectful manner. (C) Use appropriate verbal and written skills, documentation skills according to departmental guidelines. (D) Create an environment where responsiveness to customer needs is a personal priority.
- HUMAN RELATIONS: (A) Attends department meetings and in-services to keep abreast of recent developments. (B) Service on department teams as assigned.
- TEAMWORK: (A) Assists in orienting new personnel as scheduled. (B) Uses time wisely. (C) Communicates pertinent information and works effectively with supervisor, pharmacists, technicians, visitors and other hospital personnel. (D) Answers the telephone and transfers calls to the appropriate person. (E) Works independently without direct supervision, seeing what needs to be done and completing it. (F) Exhibit an approachable, interactive style in relationships. (G) Receptive to and respond to internal and external customer feedback. (H) Assist other staff when finished with individual work assignments.
- STOCKING AND INVENTORY: (A) Restocks unit dose meds, liquids and injectables. (B) Accurately fills narcotics in automated medication dispensing cabinets. (C) Files narcotic paperwork accurately. (D) Receives orders from distributors and files orders in appropriate files. (E) Accurately checks in new orders and scans materials before placing them where they belong.
- PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATION: (A) Fills carts accurately. (B) Regularly sorts and puts away returned meds. (C) Prepares hand packs accurately. (D) Ensures that all medications packaged or dispensed have labels with readable bar codes. (E) Prepares infusion products utilizing appropriate sterile technique procedures.
- PRODUCT PACKAGE AND DELIVERY: (A) Labels stock accurately and completely. (B) Repackages oral and solid medications into unit-of-use containers, either manually or by use of automated equipment. (C) Restocks code carts, emergency boxes, and automated medications dispensing cabinets. (D) Delivers unit-dose medications and stock items to patient care and ancillary areas. (E) Ensures that all medications packaged or dispensed have readable bar codes. (F) Disposes of expired or discontinued medication in appropriate containers. (G) Prepares and delivers first dose medications and fills patient unit-dose medication bins.
- DOCUMENTATION: (A) Authorize all required documents daily. (B) Satisfies hospital and corporate responsibilities required training and competencies in a timely manner. (C) Maintains pharmacy inventories, including controlled substances, and completes all required drug control records.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Knowledge of basic math and basic computer skills.
- Familiarity with pharmacy terminology, medication names, and aseptic technique preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work rotating shifts. Demonstrates ability to work as a member of a team
- Previous hospital pharmacy technician experience preferred
Organization: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Primary Location: Wisconsin-Madison-SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Work Locations: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison (0007) 700 S. Park St. Madison, 53715
Job: Professional Services
Req ID: 19507810