Argonne National Laboratory Linux System Administrator in Lemont, Illinois
Linux System Administrator
Requisition Number: 406875 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: BIS-Business and Information Services
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT2 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
As a Linux System Administrator within the Infrastructure and Operations Department at Argonne National Laboratory, you will be part of a team that provides and supports the laboratory's central IT systems and services. Our administrators design, implement, and manage services running on Linux within an ever-changing enterprise environment. In this role, you will leverage automation and configuration management technology to configure operating systems and implement new services. You will work with several internal teams to develop solutions and ensure the overall reliability of IT services for Argonne.
This role combines deep technical expertise, leadership and strategic skills, and a collaborative mindset while working with business and IT leaders across the laboratory. A passion for information technology, problem solving, and a desire to continuously learn are indicators of success in this role.
Required knowledge, skills and experience with:
- Administering, maintaining the Linux operating system and its associated software
- Provisioning, management, and orchestration with automation tools such as Salt
- Scripting using open source programming languages such as Python and Bash
- Understanding of virtualization concepts
- Administering web application hosting platforms such as LAMP, JBoss, and Tomcat
- Experience developing processes and tools that help provide a more reliable service portfolio
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate on project teams and across departments
- To perform the essential functions of this position successful applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship, which is required to comply with federal regulations and contract. Illegal drug testing as defined in 10 CFR 707.4 and a background investigation will be required prior to employment. Subsequent re-investigations may be required.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork
Desired but not required:
- Experience working with multiple Linux distributions with a focus on Red Hat
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, OpenShift, and Kubernetes
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts and practices
- Familiarity with relational database management system concepts
- Understanding of authentication and authorization technologies such as LDAP, SAML, and Kerberos
- Understanding of Enterprise standard methodologies including Service Oriented Architectures (SOA), Solution and Software Development Lifecycles (SDLC), Enterprise Architecture (EA), and ITIL
- Experience with hosted cloud service technologies
This role may be hired as a level 2 or 3. The level will be determined by the final candidate’s level of education, experience, and skill.
- At a PT2 Level: Bachelor’s and 2+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree or equivalent.
- At a PT3 Level: Bachelor’s and 4+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 2+ years or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs