Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) Accountant II in Laurel, Maryland
Functional TitleAccountant II
Recruitment Category TypeStandard
Number of Vacancies1
Job Description Summary
Reports toSection Manager, Accounting
Full or Part TimeFull Time
If Part Time how many hours per week
Regular or TemporaryRegular
Position End Date (if temporary)
M-F 8:30-5pm, required half hour lunch
Position Summary Information
Performs complex professional accounting and analysis of a varied nature. Participates in financial system (general ledger and assets) activities and sub-system interfaces to the general ledger. Participates in cross-functional workgroups to enhance the data and process coordination between and among departments and software modules. Assists in the coordination of annual activities with external auditors to support the year-end (USGAAP) audits. Prepares ad hoc analyses and reporting when requested by internal customers, the Accounting Section Manager and/or Division Manager.
• Plays a key role in the reconciliation of general ledger accounts related toCIPand developer constructed assets. Initiates and assists with process improvement initiatives. Recommends operating, control, and reporting improvements. Performs complex professional accounting and analysis of a varied nature, including but not limited to:• Capital assets that represent in excess of 90% of the Commission’s total assets. Recommends procedures for capital asset management and develops and maintains asset records for the Commission’s developer constructed assets. Works in conjunction with engineers, project managers and developers to ensure integrity of project cost data;• Participates in financial system (general ledger and assets) activities and sub-system interfaces to the general ledger. Performs routine maintenance and participates in upgrade/implementation processes (includes non-financial systems that impact the general ledger and capital assets). Participates in user acceptance testing and testing of new system functionality. Communicates with IT to identify and resolve programming and functionality issues.• Assists in the performance of annual activities with external auditors to support the year-end (USGAAP) audit. Prepares and reviews audit work papers and supporting schedules and documentation for external financial reporting.• Updates and maintains development services and relocation project cost accounting and cost recovery records, including preparation of invoices in compliance with terms of agreements and Commission regulations;• Monitors deposits and safeguards letters of credit submitted by developers in lieu of performance bonds;• Prepares ad hoc analysis and reporting when requested by internal customers, the AccountantIII, Accounting Section Manager, and/or Division Manager;
• Functions as back-up, and provides support when necessary, to the Capital Asset Team, including but not limited to:o Develops and maintains asset records for the Blue Plains joint-use facility and related grant activities. Works in cooperation with engineers and finance professionals at DC Water to ensure integrity of project cost datao Reviews quarterly bills and supporting documentation from DC Water for WSSC’s portion of costs under a regional agreement (the Blue Plains Intermunicipal Agreement of 2012), providing for wastewater treatment at the Blue Plains facility in Washington DC. Ensures timely reconciliation and preparation of bills to the City of Rockville for their portion of the Blue Plains costs.
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Administrative office position that may require extended work hours periodically to complete special projects, upgrade or enhance systems, or support the monthly and annual financial statement review and preparation process.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• Working knowledge of accounting theory, principles and practices and their application to various accounting transactions and problems;• Working knowledge of internal controls;• Ability to analyze and interpret accounting and financial records. Makes recommendations for improvements;• Prior participation in the design and installation of accounting/financial systems and related sub-ledgers;• Excellent organization skills, including the ability to coordinate multiple tasks, work independently and meet deadlines;• Demonstrated advanced skills and proficiency in the utilization of spreadsheets, databases, general ledger applications• Overall knowledge of the Commission and its operations;• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, coworkers, and external organizations/individuals.
Minimum Education, Experience Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related discipline;• Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in public or corporate accounting, auditing, or a combination thereof, including:o 1 year of recent experience with general ledger software (Oracle General Ledger or equivalent); ando 1 year of experience in financial analysis.
• Administrative office position that may require extended work hours periodically to complete special projects, upgrade or enhance systems, or support the monthly and annual financial statement review and preparation process;• Highly proficient in the utilization of Microsoft Office, including advanced skills in Excel and Access;• Experience withGASBandFASBpronouncements and their application.
•CPAor other professional accounting/fraud certifications;• Master’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
Salary$63,659 to $97,180
Posting Detail Information
It is the policy of the Commission to select new employees and to promote current employees without regard to race, sexual orientation, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, or handicap. The Commission does not discriminate against qualified individuals with a disability and will make reasonable accommodation for any disability that does not result in undue hardship for the Commission.
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
*Do you have a Bachelor’s degree?
*Do you have three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in public or corporate accounting, auditing, or combination thereof?
*Do you have one (1) year of recent experience in the operation and maintenance of general ledger software (Oracle General Ledger or equivalent)?
*Do you have one (1) year of experience in financial analysis?
*Do you have advanced skills in MS Excel and Access?
*Are you familiar, and do you have experience with GASB, FASB, and GAAP?
*Do you have a Master's degree in accounting, finance, or related field?
*Are you a CPA or do you possess any professional accounting/fraud certifications?
*Will you, now or in the future, require sponsorship for employment visa status?
Are you an honorably discharged veteran of the United States armed forces who was a bona fide resident of the state of Maryland when you entered the U.S. military?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application