UNC Health Care PHARMACY TECHNICIAN - HILLSBOROUGH in Hillsborough, North Carolina
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN - HILLSBOROUGH
Job ID: PHA006AK
Position: Pharmacy Technician
Location: Hillsborough Hospital / Hillsborough
Hours: Full Time, 40 hrs/wk; Evenings
The UNC Department of Pharmacy Hillsborough Inpatient Pharmacy is seeking a highly skilled Pharmacy Technician to work in their multidisciplinary environment utilizing some of the most progressive technologies and facilities for pharmacy practice, including the advanced use of pharmacy automation, and fully computerized pharmacy systems.
Description of Job Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Appropriately delivers, fills and/or exchanges medications to automated dispensing cabinets and/or patient floors
• Works in conjunction with automated dispensing technology to supply correct medications for individual patients, according to pharmacist and physician orders
• Screens patient medication orders for accuracy, resolves questions in consultation with licensed pharmacist
• Prepare hazardous and non-hazardous sterile preparations and/or fills medication orders (oral, topical, etc.) under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist
• Reconstitutes and dispenses medications according to prescribed orders
• Performs receiving, storage, and data entry of medications and materials received from suppliers
• Maintains proper storage and security of controlled and non-controlled medication
• Operates pharmacy automation systems in accordance with department SOPs including, but not limited to Pyxis Medication Cabinets and Talyst Carousel drug storage system
• Documents pharmaceutical activities within automated and paper systems
• Provides resolution or triage service response to telephone and digital messaging inquiries
• Assists with training of new technician employees and students in job specific functions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Prior institutional pharmacy setting experience, such as a hospital, nursing home, or long term care facility
• Prior sterile compounding experience and knowledge of USP797/800 guidelines
• Initiative to learn new processes and procedures
• Ability to lift 35lbs
• Endure standing for long periods of time, up to eight hours
• Ability to walk up to 6 miles per shift
The Department of Pharmacy is a dynamic, integral and critical part of patient care provided by the University of North Carolina Health Care System. Our mission is to provide patient-centered medication management that optimizes outcomes through an alignment of practice, education, research and leadership.
The UNC Department of Pharmacy is an organization of more than 400 people who focus their attention on caring for patients of the UNC Health Care System. We are culturally diverse and have a variety of backgrounds, interests, capabilities and experience.
The Department of Pharmacy located has 2 pharmacies located on the UNC Hillsborough Hospital Campus, the Hillsborough Inpatient Pharmacy and our retail location, the Hillsborough Outpatient Pharmacy.
The Pharmacy Department has adopted the staff governance model. This model will ensure that staff members are instrumental in the development and implementation of ideas that will directly impact the department’s operations, practice, performance improvement, professional development, and finance.
High School Diploma OR current enrollment in a Pharmacy School. Requires active Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) unless enrolled in pharmacy school.
Primary Location: Hillsborough, North Carolina, United States
Department: H-23100-UNCH HBO MOB PHARMACY-018
Shift: Evening Job