Ultra Electronics - USSI Functional Team Lead- Mechanical in Greenford, United Kingdom
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems is a business within the Ultra Electronics Group and has supplied defence electronics systems for over 30 years to the UK Ministry of Defence, to major prime contractors and also directly to international military and commercial customers.
Ultra Electronics Command & Sonar Systems has a wide expertise in offering turnkey project, integrated system design and niche product solutions, using in house technology, specialist third party products and Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) technology.
Providing solutions across a range of military, civil and related high integrity systems including C4ISR, data links, weapon interfacing, vetronics, safety critical systems, electro-optical surveillance, tracking and gunfire control, navigation systems and data distribution and networking systems. Ultra Electronics prides itself on developing long term relationships with its customers providing support for equipment throughout its service life and often beyond.
To lead a team of mechanical engineers based at the UECSS Greenford site, this will involve the management and development of the engineering resources and processes in accordance with best practice to meet the demand from current and future projects.
A Mechanical Functional Team Lead will be responsible for Line Management of a team of mechanical engineers working on a variety of mechanical work packages. The Mechanical Team Lead will also be required to take on the roles of Work Package Manager.
The Mechanical Functional Team Lead Responsibilities are:
- Line management responsibilities and resource allocation to project.
- Liaising internally with Engineering Managers, Capability Managers and with other external stakeholders (suppliers, customers etc.).
- Managing a team within a functional group, its resources, knowledge, skills, processes, procedures and tools to align with the current and future needs of the business.
- Developing the team through best practice and engineering excellence.
- Review forward load for his/her team and provide feedback to Programmes on a monthly basis.
- Resolve resource conflict with wider functional team.
A Mechanical Functional Team Lead will also undertake the role of Work Package Manager for mechanical design aspects of specific projects.
The Work Package Manager role Responsibilities are:
- Work Package management and execution to the required time, cost and quality.
- Attending regular project, schedule and risk reviews with the Project Manager and Project Engineering Lead
- Provide project input to project progress reports and meetings, engineering estimates to complete and input to risk identification and mitigation.
- Estimating and bid support.
- Forward Load review, resource allocation and resource conflict resolution.
- Production of project drawing packs in line with configuration management processes.
- Producing and reviewing Mechanical Designs and Drawings.
- Maintaining the configuration of UECSS’s production drawing packs.
- Providing support for stress and thermal analysis activities.
A Mechanical Functional Team Lead will be responsible for:
- Managing, motivating and developing direct reports to ensure that they fulfil their roles and meet targets effectively, on a timely basis and to agreed quality standards.
- Coaching direct reports to help them further develop in their own roles and levels of expertise.
- Conduct Personal Development Reviews in line with the business schedule.
- Ensure compliance to all operational and financial processes and procedures.
- Responsible for employment matters, working with Human Resources and the Functional Lead – Mechanical Engineering where appropriate to address and resolve issues effectively and in accordance with the company’s policies.
The specific vacancy requires the Team Lead to support a team of up to 8 engineers.
- Educated to degree level, or equivalent in mechanical engineering.
- +10 years’ experience using 3D CAD modelling tool(s) including 2D technical drawings.
- +2 years’ experience of mechanical team leading.
- Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, & Outlook)
- Microsoft Outlook
- The successful candidate must be capable of achieving security clearance (SC) as a minimum.
- Autodesk Inventor MCAD
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- PTC Windchill
- PTC Creo MCAD
- Finite Element Analysis Tools
Employee Type: Full-Time
Job Type: Environment Police - Security - Defence
Experience: Not Specified
Date Posted: 11/23/2018