Thermo Fisher Scientific Engineer/Scientist I, QC in Grand Island, New York
About Thermo Fisher Scientific :
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $22 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
The Scientist I QA/QC is responsible to perform a large variety of routine and complex analytical procedures in the analysis of cell culture media and raw materials by various testing techniques including but not limited to GC, HPLC, ICP-MS. Enter data, review data to ensure the final release of finished product and/or raw materials in applicable systems. Follow and adhere to GLPs, cGMPs, SOPs and all safety regulations as they apply to the laboratory and work areas. Represent the laboratory on cross-departmental teams as needed.
Candidate must be able to work independently, as well as on teams within the cell culture, Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology, Environmental and Incoming Quality Control Laboratories. Must have the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment and prioritize work as necessary. Carry out standard operating procedures involving basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping necessary for Quality Control testing of raw materials and finished products. Responsible for testing data records, notebooks, customer reports and computerized data storage. Utilize specialized technical knowledge and skills to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure assays are within operating parameters. Advise manager of factors that may affect quality of data. Suggest options / ideas for corrective and preventative actions.
Requires a functional knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques such as GC, HPLC and ICP-MS. Accuracy and attention to detail is required in performing all functions of this position. Initiative, organizational and computer skills are extremely valuable to ensure effective laboratory operations. Must demonstrate judgment, tact and diplomacy; in dealing with internal and external customers. Must possess self-motivation and the ability to work on routine analysis with no instructions or new assignments with limited instructions. Excellent written and oral communications skills are required.
· Read, understand and interpret analytical procedures
· Write WINS and SOPs
· Provide expert interpretation of data and compare results to established specifications or anticipated trends
· Adheres to written work instructions and procedures.
· Works with Research and Development and manufacturing Sciences to facilitate the development and or transfer of new assays.
· Interacts with diverse internal functional groups to solve moderate complex problems.
· Responds to internal and external audit observations and identifies and implements appropriate corrective and preventive actions.
· Initiates investigations into process failures, product failure and safety incidents, and identifies and implements and appropriate corrective and preventive actions.
· Bachelors Degree in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or related field with 5 years experience in Analytical Chemistry.
· Masters Degree in Chemistry, Analytical or related field with 2 years experience in Analytical Chemistry.
· Extensive experience with HPLC or UPLC.
· Experience with ICPMS prefered
· Experience with analytical method validation
· Experience with cGMP, GLP, CLIA or other lab regulation is preferred
· Experience with Empower Software is preferred.
What Thermo Fisher Offers to Employees:
Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits effective on first day of employment
Paid Time Off – Eligible to accrue up to 3 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO), pro-rated based on start date
401(K) Retirement Plan – Company Matching Contribution up to 6%
Shift Premium for 2nd and 3rd shift employees
If you are an individual with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to complete any part of our application process, click here at https://jobs.thermofisher.com/page/show/eeo-affirmative-action-statement#accessibility for further assistance.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.