St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Medical Assistant/Medical Receptionist in Fullerton, California
The Medical Assistant/Medical Receptionist works between the Back Office and Front Office as assigned. When performing duties as a Medical Assistant, this position is responsible for assisting the physician/provider with all general medicine or specialized medical practice duties under the general supervision of the Physician, Clinical Supervisor and or Clinical Manager. When performing duties in the Front Office this position handles incoming calls timely and efficiently, takes accurate and appropriate messages, assists and greets patients/visitors in a friendly and courteous manner, checks patients in and/or out collecting charges as required. Assists the department with various duties as needed, reports to the Front Office Lead, Receptionist Supervisor, Site Manager and/or Site Director.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies: Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System.
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship.
• Rooms patients utilizing best practice MA workflow and maintains patient flow per schedule and anticipates patient care needs, huddles and consults with provider as needed. 15%
• Documents patient information collected, care given and treatments provided as well as charges in a clear and concise manner in EMR. 15%.
• Assists with patient phone messages/tasks and documents in EMR Conducts callbacks per provider instruction in an efficient and timely manner, while maintaining proper telephone etiquette 15%
• Maintains CPR and other appropriate certifications 5%
• Organizes, stocks (using a PAR & trigger system) and maintains an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, procedure rooms and patient care areas 5%
• Assists with procedures and administers medications within the MA scope of practice and per provider orders. 5%
• Answers telephones efficiently and timely: using appropriate follow through in screening and transferring calls, Accurately documents and distributes tasks messages accordingly 15%
• Maintain knowledge of computer scheduling functions, using proper registration protocols, editing existing patient data, and utilizing proper visit types, maintaining knowledge of all providers schedules. 15%
• Performs general clerical duties, including faxing, copying filing, distribution of memos and daily schedules etc. as needed 5%
• Oversees the front area for cleanliness and safety, and continuous awareness of visitors 2%
• Maintain compliance with Attendance & Punctuality Policy and proper recording of hours worked 3%
• Other duties may be assigned as needed.
• Human development knowledge/skills:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for infant (0-1 year), child (1-5 years), school age (6-12 years), adolescent (13-17 years), young adult (18-45 years), middle adult (46-60 years), older adult (60+ years).
• Age-specific patient needs that employee is required to understand and meet:
Demonstrates the ability to recognize age specific information related to age specific needs of the patient and provides appropriate care as needed.
• Additional requirements:
Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the patient population served.
Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources.
Information Management: Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with complete confidentiality and security. Adheres to HIPAA standards. Admitting personnel shall have access to all PHI gathered during the patient registration process, including insurance information, admitting diagnosis and physicians involved in treatment of the patient and admitting physician, as necessary to enable the personnel to perform their admitting and registration duties. Access shall be available only on duty and at work.
Risk Management: Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Safety Requirements: Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• High school Diploma or GED
• Graduate of a State recognized vocational school or equivalent.
• MA Diploma
• Current BLS Certificate (issued through the American Heart Association)
Experience: Entry level with less than 2 years experience as a Back Office Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care facility or medical group practice.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Windows
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• High level of customer services skills with a genuine caring approach to helping people.
• Maintain a positive attitude with changing conditions.
• Demonstrates organizational abilities.
• Demonstrates dependability.
• Operates all general business equipment and assists office with all clerical needs.
• Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• General knowledge of healthcare insurance and terminology
• Must be able to work under general supervision.
• Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
Preferred Position Additional Qualifications:
• Preferred previous experience with computers and/or automated scheduling, EMR and/or IDX experience is helpful but not required;
• Prior experience in handling and balancing cash preferred
• Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills.
Environmental Conditions: May include exposure to potentially hazardous material, infectious agents, contact with patients, public and staff.
Physical Requirements: Sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 24 lbs., and grasping.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare
Category: Health Care