Syngenta Seeds Production Research Scientist in Clinton, Illinois
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About this Job:
- Manage inbred Version trialing corn characterization projects across multiple sites.
- Management to include experimental design, logistics management, consultation on project execution, workload assignments, data collection, and statistical analysis.
- Collaborate with Seeds Production research (SPR) and Research and Development (R&D) teams to, design, prepare, plant, maintain, harvest, and analyze characterization trials.
- Participate in the hybrid advancement process to help ensure that seed parent producibility targets are included as selection criteria.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the overall strategy for the NA SPR corn group in collaboration with the global SPR group.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take the lead in inbred Trait Version characterization providing key data for the hybrid advancement process; analysis of cost of production, supply reliability, and producibility.
- Develop and maintain communication with various functions within Syngenta; Research and Development, Biological Assessment, Seed Production, Parent Seed, and Quality Assurance. This also includes other seed industry contacts (University, Chemical Reps, etc.) outside of Syngenta.
- Lead and assist with experimental design and trial creation. This involves identifying relevant research projects, determining seed/agricultural product entry lists, and making all necessary preparations to ensure experiment completion.
- Coordinate and assist in field/lab activities. This includes routine site/farm maintenance, implementing treatments, data collection, plot maintenance, and harvest.
- Manage research activities of contract staff. This includes prioritizing tasks, assigning workloads, and coordination of data collection activities.
- Maintain the appropriate balance of priorities and resources during trial management.
- Work with other members of SPR, R&D, and production operations to achieve trial execution through priority setting and resource management.
- Conduct statistical analysis of data in effort to prepare presentations/research reports for data customers and stakeholders.
- Assist in preparation of departmental budget along with managing site expenses.
- Ensure full HSE compliance and promote environmentally sustainable solutions.
- Personal development; attend company sanctioned and/or external training events for development of personal and technical skills.
- Representation of Syngenta: Builds trust inside the company and in the local community showing ethical considerations.
- Ensure Syngenta values are reflected in company activities, and effectively promote SPR with customers and stakeholders.
Education & Experience:
- PhD in Agronomy, Plant Breeding, or a related agricultural or biological discipline or a MS with significant relevant experience
- Thorough grasp of seed production principles
- Deep understanding of experimental design, field trial execution, and statistical analysis.
- Seeds production knowledge across a range of crops
- Implementation and testing of regional seed production strategies
- Appreciation of statistical or modeling approaches
- Organization; planning, pro-activity and reactivity leadership; flexibility and availability
- Communication; impactful, open-minded, with an aptitude to develop easy contacts with all customers
- Cross functional and multi-cultural project management aptitude
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Traits & Abilities:
- Ability to influence and change current ways of working to develop a more scientific approach in the way we describe data, design experiments, integrate and interpret results
- A fundamental understanding of marker assisted selection in plant breeding
- Project management proficiency and leadership
- Ability to coordinate activities across geographies
- Statistical and data visualization and presentation proficiency
- Ability to work days, evenings and weekends
- Must be able to travel by car or plane
- Ability to walk fields in all weather conditions
- International travel likely; must have a current passport
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Syngenta Contact Information: If you need assistance during the application process, please contact the Service Desk at email@example.com
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/fmla.htm)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC) (http://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/firststep/poster_direct.htm)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) (http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppa.htm)
Title: Seeds Production Research Scientist
Requisition ID: 18004072