BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Automation Systems Engineer ll in Chattanooga, Tennessee
The Systems Engineer II is responsible for the overall integrity, integration, performance, and security of all assigned systems. They provide leadership and guidance to other staff providing systems engineering services, coordinating tasks and ensuring their execution and documentation in accordance with established corporate standards. The Systems Engineer II is responsible for keeping abreast of new technologies and evaluating their applicability to BCBST’s environment and stated business goals.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as top-level technical expert in the analysis, design, implementation, and maintenance of all assigned systems, responsible for their overall security, integrity and reliability.
- Oversees the implementation of system upgrades and modifications, including planning, testing, scheduling and coordination. Ensures that change management and defined security procedures for all assigned systems are executed in accordance with I/S policies and procedures.
- Minimizes service interruptions through early identification and resolution of problems. Analyzes monitoring and maintenance data and implements changes as required to achieve optimum performance. Makes recommendations for resources required to maintain and/or expand service levels.
- Develops, maintains, and oversees a schedule of system backups and test restorations. Ensures that the business recovery plan for assigned systems adequately addresses BCBST’s requirements and established time frames.
- Oversees all support and problem management activities, provides tier-three support and guides less experienced staff in problem resolution. Reviews and analyzes problem-management data, in aggregate, to identify issues and trends directly affecting the quality of services.
- Drives the development, implementation, and maintenance of all policies, procedures, and standards pertaining to assigned services and systems, ensuring their conformance with industry-defined best practices. Oversees the maintenance of all operating records, and coordinates the production of assigned systems and services management reports, ensuring the accuracy of the data and the relevance of report metrics.
- Provides general oversight of all projects pertaining to assigned systems. May serve in the role of project lead, assuming responsibility for oversight of most or all aspects of a project. Undertakes research and/or evaluation projects as assigned, providing formal documentation of findings and conclusions according to established department standards.
- May function in the role of core team lead, with duties of instructing, directing, and checking the work of team members.
- Bachelor's degree in a computer-sciences related field, or equivalent years of experience is required. Equivalent years of experience are determined as one year of technical experience for every year of college requested.
- Five (5) years, typically 7+ years experience as a full-time technical professional. (Mainframe and distributed platform technologies, etc. will be listed at time of posting based on area position is to support).
- Extensive experience in the analysis and design of enterprise systems, as well as in troubleshooting and providing technical support for these systems.
- Appropriate technical certifications are a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to direct enterprise-scale technical projects.
Job Specific Requirements:
Experience with coding to REST API and REST Web Services is preferred.
Experience with configuration management systems (Evolven, Octopus, Chef, Puppet) is a plus.
Experience rolling out redundant, mission-critical applications in a Windows environment is preferred.
Experience with version control systems (Git or IBM UCD) is preferred.
Experience with Cloud Computing platforms (Amazon AWS, Azure, etc.) and VMWare experience is a plus.
Linux system engineering expertise, preferably RHEL is preferred.
Experience with RedHat Openshift Linux Containers (docker, rocket), Ansible and Ansible Tower is desired.
Experience with CA Process Automation tool platform is preferred.
Experience supporting Ruby or Java applications and Database Server infrastructure (MySQL, Postgres, etc.) is a plus.
Experience with Java build tools such as Visual Studio, IBM Eclipe and experience with system programming/scripting (Python, Ruby, JSON, YAML) experience is preferred.
Experience with agile development, continuous integration and automated testing is desired.
Experience with dash boarding, monitoring.
Number of Openings Available:
BCBST BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, Inc.
BCBST is an Equal Opportunity employer (EEO), and all employees and applicants will be entitled to equal employment opportunities when employment decisions are made. BCBST will take affirmative action to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals in all job classifications without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, veteran status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, gender identity, or membership in a historically under-represented group.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee via-email, the Internet or any other method without a valid, written Direct Placement Agreement in place for this position from BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee HR/Talent Acquisition will not be considered. No fee will be paid in the event the applicant is hired by BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee as a result of the referral or through other means.
Tobacco-Free Hiring Statement
To further our mission of peace of mind through better health, effective 2017, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee and its subsidiaries no longer hire individuals who use tobacco or nicotine products (including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, gum, patch, lozenges and electronic or smokeless cigarettes) in any form in Tennessee and where state law permits. A tobacco or nicotine free hiring practice is part of an effort to combat serious diseases, as well as to promote health and wellness for our employees and our community. All offers of employment will be contingent upon passing a background check which includes an illegal drug and tobacco/nicotine test. An individual whose post offer screening result is positive for illegal drugs or tobacco/nicotineand/or whose background check is verified to be unsatisfactory, will be disqualified from employment, the job offer will be withdrawn, and they may be disqualified from applying for employment for six (6) months from the date of the post offer screening results.
Resources to help individuals discontinue the use of tobacco/nicotine products include smokefree.gov or 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
As Tennessee's largest health benefit plan company, we've been helping Tennesseans find their own unique paths to good health for over 65 years. More than that, we're your neighbors and friends – fellow Tennesseans with deep roots of caring tradition, a focused approach to physical, financial and community good health for today, and a bright outlook for an even healthier tomorrow.