Good Shepherd Services Career Success Coach: Rebound And Assist in Brooklyn, New York
The Young Adult Borough Center (YABC) is a High School program that provides educational, vocational, and support services to young adults, ages 17 – 21, who are over-aged and under-credited. Students are provided with the support they need to earn their High School Diplomas and get started on a career. The Career Success Coach provides job readiness and career exploration assessments for students’ vocational employment needs and work readiness one-on-one with youth through the Rebound Assist program. Rebound Assist is a job training and apprenticeship program. S/He also works with the local business community throughout Brooklyn to create apprenticeship and employment opportunities for the participants. S/he acts as the primary contact for outreach and contact with employers and all vocational subcontractors.
Reports to: PROGRAM DIRECTOR, Rebound and Assist
Locations: 1700 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11213 and 5800 20th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11204
Hours: 12:30 pm – 8:30pm 35 Hours/Week; 10-month position; Non-Exempt
• Provide individual job and career counseling to 50 young adults per school year.
• Work with local business community to develop apprenticeship placement opportunities for the students.
• Identify, develop and utilize a tool appropriate to provide accurate assessment of students’ work readiness and career interests and to develop ideas for apprenticeship placements.
• Prepare, orient and place students into apprenticeships.
• Provide guidance to employers on maximizing apprenticeship experiences by working effectively with young adults.
• Provide support to employers and students while apprenticeship placements are active in the form of phone calls, meetings, and site visits, using feedback obtained from employers, students and personal observation.
• Assist students’ post-apprenticeship with future employment and provide educational and career development counseling and support.
• Support student recruitment efforts by conducting intake assessments, testing and interviewing of incoming students.
• Provide crisis intervention, conflict resolution and social emotional support to all students.
• Collaborate with YABC staff on best practices and recruitment efforts.
• Responsible for participating in student orientations and special events for students.
• Use database to document efforts and attendance of youth in the program.
• Maintain an up-to-date case file reflecting the services received by the student on a monthly basis.
• Meet with Program Director for bi-weekly supervision.
• Work in collaboration and check in regularly with peer Career Success Coach.
• Participate in case conferencing and staff meetings.
• Evenings required.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or 5+ years of work readiness experience preferred.
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
• Valid driver’s license preferred.
• Experience and comfort working with young adults individually and in groups.
• Familiarity and comfort with Brooklyn communities preferred.
• Experience developing vocational skills trainings and establishing successful partnerships with employers.
• Ability and willingness to do site visits.
• Strong organizational, planning and problem solving skills and Strong PC, Microsoft Office and Internet Skills.
• Demonstrate ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to work creatively, independently and with a team.
• Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, oral and written communication skills.
• Must have a commitment to working with youth from a strength-based and youth development perspective.
• Knowledge of Trauma Informed Practice a plus.
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year – and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
General Requirements: All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.