Kern Community College District Instructional Assistant, Health Careers - Short-term Temporary in Bakersfield, California
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide individual and group instructional services of a paraprofessional nature in a subject area; prepare, distribute and discuss grades and examinations with students; assist in the instructional process of teaching complex patient skills; assist in the instructional computer lab; provide clerical assistance to the teaching staff.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: Associate degree supplemented by course work in nursing AND one year of nursing experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Vocational or Registered Nurse license.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Current Healthcare Provider CPR card.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an Intravenous Therapy Certificate, if LVN.
- A demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Applicants must submit to and pass a drug-screen test as part of their pre-employment physical examination.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Principles and methods of nursing instruction.
- Principles and methods of nursing procedures.
- Policies and objectives of assigned program and activities.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Operation of standard medical equipment.
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies.
- Basic math.
- Instruct individual and small groups of students in nursing procedures.
- Assist teachers with a variety of programs.
- Operate and demonstrate the use of standard medical equipment.
- Respond to student requests and inquiries.
- Operate a variety of modern office equipment including a computer.
- Observe health and safety regulations.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Job Title: Instructional Assistant, Health Careers - Short-term Temporary
Position Number: 01089
Posting Date: 02/12/2015
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Short-term Temporary Hourly
Work Week: As needed
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Salary Grade: 45.5