University of Colorado Instructor-UC AMC Genetic Counselor in Aurora, Colorado
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine
Instructor - Genetic Counselor
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Role Description:Looking for Genetic Counselor candidates interested in a full-time faculty position with benefits, to provide clinical cancer risk assessment/genetic counseling in the Cancer Center and Hereditary Cancer Clinic. The position is offered through the (Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, Colorado. The position will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure.
Working Conditions:The clinic is a premier source of Cancer Genetics services for both clinical service and research projects in our state and region. As part of a team including 4 genetic counselors, oncologists and gastroenterologists. The Genetic Counselor works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team. Role model professionalism through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Effective counseling session structure;providing cancer risk assessments to patients; conducting in-person genetic counseling sessions;
· Counseling techniques sensitive toward individuals and families at risk of genetic disorders that promotes individual choice on various treatment options;
· Pedigree creation using Progeny software; and common Microsoft office computer applications including daily e-mail;
· Individual case management and collaboration with Multidisciplinary health professionals to promote patient care;coordinating genetic testing and dissemination of results. Consulting within an oncology team as a Genetics Specialist for newly diagnosed patients in the University of Colorado Cancer Center clinics;
· Working to assist patients in obtaining appropriate medical management from their health care providers.
· Identify and respond to issues and problems effectively and in a timely manner;
· Maintain confidentiality; listen and obtain clarification to ensure that instructions and requests are fully comprehended;
· Assist in educating individuals, families about inherited genetic disorders and the medical testing, scientific research, psychological resources and other options available;
· Translate complex language of genomic medicine into understandable terms;
· Communicate effectively orally and in writing with individuals, families and medical professionals;
· Attend a variety of specialty oncology tumor boards;
· Participates in the training and supervision of genetic counseling graduate students, and newly hired Genetic Counselors
· Enhance the Hereditary Cancer Clinic through educational outreach to grow demand for patient services and to grow the clinic into a genetic resource for the state and region; and to provide genetic expertise for Cancer Center researchers.
· Performs other duties as required and/or requested based on the needs of the patient, cancer clinic and the department.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located atEmployee Services.
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees prior to their employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator:https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations:http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
• Graduate with a Master’s Degree in Genetic Counseling is required.
• Board Eligible or Certified in Genetic Counseling
• Must have completed at least one clinical rotation in a Hereditary Cancer Clinic, under the supervision of a Board Certified Cancer Genetic Counselor
• A valid driver's license and automobile insurance is required.
• Demonstrates ability to work both independently and cooperatively with a team reflecting positive behaviors toward patients, families, physicians, and all clinical and research staff. Responds to customers of all age groups in a friendly, prompt, and caring manner while maintaining confidentiality. Promotes mutual
respect and professionalism.
• Strong critical thinking organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
• Seeking a solid self-starter and ability to troubleshoot issues on their own.
• A must-have for patient care: excellent verbal communication telephone skills.
• Preferred experience in cancer genetic counseling specialty.
Organization: *U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS
Title: Instructor-UC AMC Genetic Counselor
Requisition ID: 17218
University of Colorado
- University of Colorado Jobs