Amazon Arlington HQ Software Development Manager in Arlington, Virginia
The Amazon EC2 team is seeking a very strong technical leader to manage and grow an engineering team that focuses on building the web applications that enable customers to launch and manage Amazon Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) instances and other AWS resources. This requires a thorough knowledge of what it takes to develop scalable, extensible technology, as well as how to structure and develop engineering organizations.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides Amazon's customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon's own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Amazon EC2 is the web service that is pioneering cloud computing by providing resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It gives any developer complete control of their computing resources and lets them run on Amazon's proven computing environment. We are continuing to build the team in order to expand on our feature set and manage our rapidly increasing scale. We are expanding our capacity management initiatives to support high growth at large scales and create novel markets to support the computing needs of our customers.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the large opportunity that Amazon EC2 presents and is eager for a significant intellectual, technical and operational challenge. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality solutions in a fast-growth environment where priorities shift fast. The position demands excellent technical skills and knowledge coupled with strong leadership, planning, and management abilities.
· Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
· Responsible for the team’s over-all systems development life cycle.
· Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget.
· Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments.
· Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of- class engineering team.
· Leads the evolution of the software engineering practices within the organization (metrics, development methodology, innovation).
· Works closely with architects to develop the best technical design and approach for products.
· Maintains current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology.
· Continues to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of
senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance
reviews of team members.
· Creates and executes appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for
development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
· Drives and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and is an effective advocate for the development organization.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or similar technical field.
· At least 5 years experience in software development and at least 3 years as a Development Manager.
· Experience with React and Redux.
· Familiarity with object-oriented design and RESTful web services.
· Experience with scaling web applications for high customer volume and data.
· Experience troubleshooting and supporting production systems.
· Knowledgable about UI test automation frameworks (e.g. Jest, Jasmine, etc.).
· Experience working as a software development engineer building web applications.
· Experience working with a global development organization.
· Master’s in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or similar technical field.