Amazon Arlington HQ Region Design Technical Program Manager in Arlington, Virginia
Amazon Web Services is innovating new ways of building massively scalable distributed systems and delivering the next generation of cloud services that support commercial and public sector customers around the world. We hold high standards for our computer systems and the services we deliver to our customers: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, and highly available, all while functioning at massive scale. Our employees are smart, passionate about the cloud, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. If you have strong technical program management, IT infrastructure and/or programming experience, have a strong desire to improve and automate, can communicate highly technical concepts, are excited for the opportunity to develop new methods, and are passionate about delivering great customer experiences, we’d like to speak with you. In AWS regions we are often doing things that have never been done, and we need adaptable, organized self-starters to make this happen.
Regions are the primary means by which AWS delivers services, and we continually innovate our region architecture and build methods to launch faster and more efficiently. Regions are foundational to the delivery of our services, and there are few areas more challenging, and rewarding, in which to innovate than region design and build. Designing and planning new regions requires exceptionally talented and driven people who can integrate software and infrastructure disciplines and reach across organizations to align goals while we rapidly improve our region design and operations.
This role is critical for continuing AWS infrastructure and service expansion worldwide as we develop opportunities to support strategic geographic locations and large customers. You will get to know and work closely with stakeholders and executives throughout AWS. You will have the opportunity to work closely with Service Teams, Infrastructure, Product Teams, and Business Development. You will develop plans and requirements that ensure smooth transition of new regions from design phase to build phase. You will assess risks, anticipate issues, overcome technical obstacles, make difficult trade-off decisions, and balance business needs and technical constraints, particularly when unique requirements arise for customers or countries. You will represent challenges and status to senior leadership. Your program management expertise and operational excellence will influence decisions and drive solutions.
Successful candidates will have a strong technical background (including direct, hands-on experience in software development, network engineering, infrastructure management, XaaS deployment, or similar), be detail oriented, have excellent problem solving abilities, and the need to continually improve and automate.
This role will sit in our new headquarters in Northern Virginia, where Amazon will invest $2.5 billion dollars, occupy 4 million square feet of energy efficient office space, and create at least 25,000 new full-time jobs. Our employees and the neighboring community will also benefit from the associated investments from the Commonwealth including infrastructure updates, public transportation improvements, and new access to Reagan National Airport.
By working together on behalf of our customers, we are building the future one innovative product, service, and idea at a time. Are you ready to embrace the challenge? Come build the future with us.
· 7 years of experience in technical leadership roles; technical program management, systems architecture, or system development.
· 7 years of experience in an engineering or software development role (e.g. SW developer, NW engineer, Systems Engineer).
· Substantive knowledge of distributed systems and cloud solutions in areas such as authentication, networking, storage, and others.
· Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
· Flexible thinker who is comfortable with ambiguity and doing things for the first time.
· 10+ years of experience with software development or systems engineering lifecycle from concept to delivery.
· Strong writing skills, able to easily communicate technical concepts to broad audiences in writing.
· Solid foundation in service-oriented and web-service technologies.
· Experience designing and implementing systems using AWS.
· Advanced technical, scientific, or engineering degree
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age