Trinity Health Registrered Nurse, RN - Clinical Research, Oncology in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Exciting position as a Clinical Oncology Research Nurse within the Michigan Cancer Research Consortium (MCRC). MCRC is a multi-state consortium of community hospitals offering both federally funded and pharmaceutical sponsored oncology research trails in community hospitals. MCRC has been continuously funded for over 25 years through the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and currently is funded as an NCI Community Oncology Research Program (NCORP). The person accepting this position will coordinate clinical patient care for a wide variety of oncology research trails. Research nurses work with a dynamic team of researchers at St. Joseph Mercy Health System and others across the country. Nurses will collaborate with dynamic MCRC team including Principle Investigators, research coordinators and investigational pharmacist with opportunities to collaborate with national teams in National Cancer Institute network.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE POSITION
- It is fast-paced, but requires significant portions of time doing very detail oriented reading and analyzing of patient and protocol information.
- It requires independent and self-directed person who is a quick starter and wants to learn. Must be organized and detail oriented.
- It requires a person who is comfortable learning a job for a period of 12-18 months as it takes that long to become comfortable in the position (this is not an easy job but is well worth the effort!)
- Research nurses (group of 10) cover patients at Canton, Brighton, Chelsea, Livonia and Ann Arbor cancer centers. The majority of the nurses cover 2 cancer centers each week once they are sufficiently oriented to the job (up to a year).
- It requires a person who is comfortable communicating with other health professionals (doctors, nurses, pharmacists, etc.) in a team setting.
- It requires being comfortable being ""behind"" in your work and pressure to accomplish work.
- It is a salaries position, Monday through Friday, with some flexibility regarding time of day work.
- Involves patient contact to consent, educate, monitor, assess and provide emotional support to cancer patients.
- Research nurses do not specialize in one type of cancer or only a few specific studies, they are expected (and supported) to manage any patient on any study.
- Has opportunities to serve on national committees and collaborate with nurses around the country who do similar work.
- Coordinates, implements, and evaluates clinical research trials, studies, and projects. Performs patient evaluations, administers medications, and research instruments and provides nursing support to perform specialized diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides day-to-day management of an assigned portfolio of clinical research studies and clinical trials.
- Provides direction in the development of research protocols, including review of related research literature, evaluation of resource requirements, and assessment of feasibility. Addresses practical issues such as availability of qualifies investigators, access to an adequate patient population, and analysis of financial aspects of the study.
- Provides direction and may supervise research coordinators or other research support staff.
- Recruits and screens potential study participants.
- Makes referrals to in-house or community professionals and serves as a clinical resource to research patients, investigators, and other staff.
- Analyzes and evaluates clinical data to be able to trend events for patient safety. Recognizes and reports potential adverse events in cooperation with the investigators and principal investigator.
- Acts as patient advocate between the investigator, clinical departments and the cooperative groups.
- Collects data, assists in developing data collection systems, and compiles reports.
- Assists investigators and research staff in writing research grants, publication in the medical and scientific literature, study materials, brochures, and correspondence.
- Manages project related information systems and databases including data collection, coding, storage, and analysis.
- Serves as liaison to other departments, outside organizations, and industry representatives on related research study or clinical trial issues.
- Ensures the preparation of operational and statistical reports for management and for regulatory agencies.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, off solutions, and participates in their resolution.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision, and Values of SJMHS.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
Bachelor’s Degree in nursing. Current licensure in the State of Michigan. Three years of related nursing experience, previous research experience preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Demonstrated ability to work closely with principal investigators and other stakeholders to coordinate the day-to-day activities of research studies. Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to manage study related budges and grant related activities.
Knowledge of research design principles, statistics, regulatory requirements, and ethical requirements. Working knowledge of database systems and good basic computer skills. Ability to work both independently and in team-oriented settings. Ability to work flexible hours to accommodate study and patient schedules.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American’s with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper’s Act, or SJMHS’s Return to Work Program
Job Number: 00136440
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Rotating Shift