St. Joseph Health / Covenant Health Float Pool - Medical Assistant / Medical Receptionist - South County (Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Laguna, Foothill Ranch) in Anaheim, California
Job Summary : The Front Office / Back Office Medical Assistant Float will be responsible for “floating” to ministry locations as assigned and performs tasks in all aspects of care delivered by the front office and back office staff. When performing duties as a Medical Assistant, this position will be responsible for assisting the physician/provider with all general medicine or specialized medical practice duties under the general supervision of the Physician, Clinical Supervisor and or Clinical Manager. When performing Front Office duties, this position will function as an interface with patients, physicians, staff, health plans, community-at-large, obtaining all information relating to patients, facilitating the collection and dissemination of information to Medical Records and Information Systems. Reports directly to the Front Office Lead and/or Medical Office Manager and Medical Office Supervisor.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies : Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System.
Dignity : Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence : Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service : Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability .
Justice : Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship .
Essential Functions :
• Greets patients and visitors to the medical office and obtains all required information to register patient. Assists patients in completing all forms and routes those forms to the appropriate staff or department. Inputs registration demographic and insurance information into computer. Reviews current registration information with patient updating information as required. Determines patient insurance eligibility and PCP. May assist patient in selecting a PCP if one has not been selected.
• Reviews provider schedules in advance to ensure pre-registration of new patients. Assembles and sends new patient packets, registration packets, history and physical forms prior to scheduled appointments.
• Assembles patient paperwork per established Standard Work. Produces charge/encounter tickets ensuring that the correct patient information is obtained as needed.
• Schedules patient visits per established Standard Work. Confirms, cancels, and reschedules appointments and notifies clinical staff of appointment changes per Standard Work. Discusses scheduling conflicts or problems with supervisors or clinical staff. Provides schedule updates throughout the day.
• Informs clinical staff when patient has arrived; routes patient to appropriate clinical area.
• Promptly answers incoming telephone calls. Routes calls as appropriate or takes detailed, accurate, legible messages. Communicates with answering service regarding office hours, “physician on-call”, as needed. In the absence of a prescription refill line, routes prescription refill requests per Standard Work.
• Checks patient out at the end of visit as per office procedures. Arrives, cancels and no shows appointments. Prepares No Show letters per office procedures.
• Responsible for collection of outstanding balances as indicated on encounter ticket. Per office procedures, determines total charges for visit and calculates patient financial responsibility per established policies and procedures. Collects required copayments, payments (cash, check, credit card), issues receipts and records MRN, makes change, etc., per Standard Work. Ensures that billing information and collections are routed to appropriate staff/department.
• Opens or closes office as shift requires, ensuring that all doors are secured; equipment turned on/off and communicates problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
• Maintains accurate inventory levels for Alternative Medicine program and processes transactions according to established protocols per office procedures.
• Employees can be moved to different offices within the ministry as scheduling and staffing dictates.
• Rooms patients utilizing best practice MA workflow and maintains patient flow per schedule.
• Anticipates patient care needs and consults with provider as needed.
• Documents patient information collected, care given and treatment provided as well as charges in a clear and concise manner in EMR.
• Assists with patient phone messages/tasks and documents in EMR. Conducts callbacks per provider instruction in an efficient and timely manner, while maintaining proper telephone etiquette.
• Organizes, stocks (using a PAR & trigger system) and maintains an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, procedure rooms and patient care areas.
• Maintains current knowledge of SJHH clinical policies and procedures.
• Assists with procedures and administers medications within the MA scope of practice and per provider orders.
• Adheres to all safety standards, including but not limited to, equipment maintenance, infection control, universal precautions and use of personal protective equipment as needed for all patient care procedures.
• Maintains current knowledge of medications, waste disposal and sterile techniques.
• Attends and actively participates in mandatory clinical/business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees.
• Responds to and participates in all medical emergencies and codes.
Additional Responsibilities : Performs other duties as needed.
Age-Related Competencies :
• Human development knowledge/skills:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for infant (0-1 year), child (1-5 years), school age (6-12 years), adolescent (13-17 years), young adult (18-45 years), middle adult (46-60 years), older adult (60+ years).
• Age-specific patient needs that employee is required to understand and meet:
Demonstrates the ability to recognize age specific information related to age specific needs of the patient and provides appropriate care as needed.
• Additional requirements:
Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the patient population served.
Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources.
Information Management : Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with complete confidentiality and security. Maintains all practices to protect PHI and adheres to HIPAA standards. Admitting personnel shall have access to all PHI gathered during the patient registration process, including insurance information, admitting diagnosis and physicians involved in treatment of the patient and admitting physician, as necessary to enable the personnel to perform their admitting and registration duties. Access shall be available only on duty and at work.
Risk Management : Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Safety Requirements : Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
Minimum Position Qualifications :
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Certificate of completion from an accredited school of training for medical assistants, required
• MA Certificate
• Current CPR (BLS) Certificate
Experience : Entry level with less than 2 years’ experience as a Back Office Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care facility or medical group practice.
Computer Skills : Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Windows.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities :
• High level of customer services skills with a genuine caring approach to helping people.
• Maintains a positive attitude with changing conditions.
• Good organizational abilities.
• Ability to operate all general business equipment and assist office with all clerical needs.
• Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• General knowledge of healthcare insurance and terminology.
• Must be able to work under general supervision.
• Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
Preferred Position Additional Qualifications :
Computer Skills :
• Experience with computers and/or automated scheduling, EMR and/or IDX experience highly desirable.
• Experience in handling and balancing cash preferred.
Other : Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills.
Environmental Conditions : May include exposure to potentially hazardous material, infectious agents, contact with patients, public and staff.
Physical Requirements : Sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 24 lbs., and grasping. Ability to travel between SJHH locations.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare
Category: Health Care