St. Joseph Health Director, Performance Improvement in Anaheim, California
Under the direction of the Vice President of Population Health, the Director, Performance Improvement will develop a department of experts who can lead our ministry through major change initiatives. With regional accountability for the California Ministries, this position plays an important role in coaching executives, engaging physicians and facilitating staff in change improvement ensuring our ministry succeeds in the long term strategy of Population Health Management. The Director assesses, makes recommendations and leads improvement activities across departments and our region, using Lean tools to transform care delivery. This position requires a leader comfortable in challenging the status quo, with expertise, knowledge, and experience in Lean improvement methodologies and organizational transformation. The Director is accountable to outcomes that align with the Triple Aim.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies: Demonstrates competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by management employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System (see attached list of behavioral definitions):
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication, interpersonal relations and leading courageously.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, teamwork, motivating and developing others, problem-solving and decision making, displaying financial understanding, managing daily operations, and demonstrating business / job specific knowledge.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus, adaptability, and shaping change.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation, stewardship, and strategic planning and action.
• Perform departmental and regional assessments, make recommendations and guide improvement opportunities that support the Triple Aim of reducing cost, improving quality and enhancing the patient experience.
• Coach Operational Improvement Specialists on Lean process improvement. Develop a team that can lead large scale change initiatives that integrate with our strategic plan. Prioritize, assign and oversee projects, events and initiatives accelerating region-wide transformation.
• Support and guide senior leadership through these major change initiatives. Work with leadership when progress is halted or significant needs are not being addressed. Use Lean principles and concepts to meet defined goals and expectations. Engage leaders at the onset of change initiatives; sign a written compact; report monthly results on work and transition mature projects to Operations.
• Engage physicians in the development and advancement of our Population Health initiatives and continuous improvement efforts.
• Develop and report outcomes for every initiative. Draft a written narrative and report monthly outcomes to VP of Pop Health. Connect initiatives to Pop Health and other strategic goals. Prioritize projects, spread tests of change that are successful and make recommendations when pilots are not producing results.
• Serve on task forces, committees and work groups as requested.
• Collaborate with Operations, Information Systems, Finance, Quality, Decision Support and other departments;
• Provide senior leadership team with ongoing updates and education on progress and deterrents to implementation and sustainment;
• Conduct presentations and complete reports to SJHS as requested;
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
Age-Related Competencies: Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the population served.
Information Management: Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with complete confidentiality and security. Maintains all practices to protect PHI and follow HIPAA guidelines.
Risk Management: Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Safety Requirements: Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration,
or related field (or Bachelor’s Degree in progress with a High school diploma or GED required)
• Requires five (5) years prior experience applying Lean or Six Sigma/Quality implementation and education strategies with consulting organization, industry, or hospital with proven director abilities.
• Previous healthcare industry knowledge and experience required.
• Experience coaching and mentoring senior executives in application of Lean to management performance system, strategic planning, visual management, leader standard work, gemba walking and other aspects supporting the executive role in Lean Management.
• Previous experience in planning and facilitating teams to a common vision and developing strategies and plans to accomplish objectives.
• Project management and performance improvement knowledge, as well as strong facilitation, relationship, team and consensus building skills required.
• Requires strong dynamic speaking experience in large and small groups.
• Previous education and/or teaching experience required.
License/Certification: Black Belt Certification in Lean or Six Sigma required.
Computer Skills: Requires general computer experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Other: Valid California Driver’s License and automobile insurance for employee-owned vehicles.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
• Healthcare industry knowledge and experience
• Highly motivated, respected servant leadership
• Excellent communication, presentation skills
• Ability to influence individuals and groups through coaching and teamwork
• Ability to manage results, process and relationships while driving to identified outcomes
• Ability to organize and follow through consistently and effectively
• Ability to work independently, comfortable with ambiguity and be accountable to deadlines in a fast paced environment
• Ability to influence upward, across, and down with or without direct lines of authority; ability to take charge
• Effective employee management skills.
• Ability to plan, organize and conduct educational development and formational activities
• Experience in planning and facilitating teams to a common vision and developing strategies and plans to accomplish objectives
• Willingness to challenge the status quo to ensure LIS principles are implemented with understanding of ministry change strategy
• Ability to travel and work flexible hours. Regional accountability in California ministries with travel to health system office and events.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Master’s Degree highly desirable
Experience: Lean or Lean/Six Sigma experience in healthcare.
License/Certification: Additional Quality certifications preferred (CPHQ, ASQ, etc.)
Environnemental Conditions: May include expose to potentially hazardous materials, infectious agents, contact with patients, public and staff.
Physical Requirements: Sitting for long periods of time, bending, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 15 lbs., and grasping. Ability to travel within Northern and Southern Ca. including some overnight travel.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare