UPMC Registered Nurse - Medical ICU in Altoona, Pennsylvania
.9 Full Time, 7a-7p/7p-7a rotation with call prn (36 hours/week)
Union position: SEIU
GN level candidate starting rate -$24.35 (BSN $25.35)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience(BSN differential: $1.00)
When you are ready to take your careerto the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN Career Ladder, which allows you toenhance your practice and receive additional compensation! Askyour recruiter for details!
UPMC Altoona is hiring a .9 Full Time Registered Nurse to help support the Medical ICU. As a member of this team you will provide direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process, provide leadership for the nursing team, and contribute to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.
• Adheres to universal precautions.
• Identifies potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
• Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
• Assessment: Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
• Completes annual competency validation activities.
• Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
• Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
• Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
• Evaluation: Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient. Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals. Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
• Implementation: Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy. Performs technical skills safely and accurately and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
• Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
• Planning: Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
• Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
• Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately.
Education and Formal Training Required:
• Must hold a current license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania
• Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Departments orientation program and probationary period.
• Must complete NIHSS education prior to end of orientation period, if required.
• Experience Required: None
• Critical care experience preferred
• When assigned to ICU must complete the Trauma Nurse Course within one year of hire.
• Must maintain eight stroke and six trauma competencies per year.
• Must attend Trauma Symposium yearly
• ACLS preferred, BLS required, PALS for specific units
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Act 34 Criminal Clearance
Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities