Sandia National Laboratories Test Operations Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a highly motivated Test Operations Engineer. In this role, you will provide oversight and facilitation within 2556 (Explosive Materials Simulation and Fabrication) and associated remotely located facilities to ensure environment is suitable for work and people conducting both hazardous and non-hazardous operations and missions are being met.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Oversee operations, facilities coordination, and work flow at remotely located Terminal Ballistics Facility and Explosive Machining Facility
- Interface with line management to facilitate safe and efficient operations across the sites including ESH, WPC, and implementation of corporate procedures
- Oversee others work who are conducting specific activities and tasks as well as conducting them
- Will be responsible for strategic and tactical coordination, planning and implementation of needs for site needs: maintenance of capabilities, equipment, facility needs, and identifying gaps and growth opportunities within operations to allow for continuous improvement
This is a leadership role and will require demonstration of ability to serve as central POC to plan and execute both R&D and non-R&D work, interfacing with customers across the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent relevant professional experience in lieu of a degree
- Knowledge of or direct experience in overseeing and performing hands on energetic (or hazardous) operations including but not limited to Work Planning and Controls, ESS&H, process and procedure development, test planning and execution, and implementation of Corporate requirements
- Experience with, or education in, testing setup/ execution and associated measurement equipment (i.e. oscilloscopes, x-ray, highspeed video, gauges, sensors, data acquisition).
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing a high hazard/large scale testing facility and serving as primary interface for operations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and perform project management for complex programs at multiple locations around the laboratory.
- Experience performing technical data analysis and report generation for customers
- Demonstrated experience of tactical coordination, planning and implementation for the following: Equipment, facility projects, and the people conducting these projects
- Experience working with Energetic Materials: handling of materials, component, and assemblies in addition to preforming complex testing at both small and large scale.
- Demonstrated experience working with vested parties (staff, lab owners, facilities, and management) to improve and upgrade operations/facilities to meet mission needs
- Demonstrated experience interfacing with both R&D and non-R&D activities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively within an organization (line and management).
- Experience overseeing budgets and project planning and proper allocation of resources
Department 2556, Explosive Materials Simulations & Fabrications Department evaluates the performance of weapon components, systems, rocket motors, armaments, and ammunition through large-scale explosive and ballistics testing for NW and WFO customers, and to support customer needs through machining and pressing of explosive materials for deployment in energetic components and assemblies. This department spans across 4 sites including Explosive Component Facility, Explosive Machining Facility, Terminal Ballistics Facility, and Light Initiated High Explosives Facility.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.