Sandia National Laboratories R&D Mechanical Engineering (Experienced) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Our team is ready to welcome a highly motivated and productive individual to join the Analytical Structural Dynamics Department as a structural dynamics analyst. Our span of work encompasses the full spectrum of research, development and application in structural dynamics analysis. The position involves a challenging mix of engineering analysis, modeling, model validation, product performance evaluation for a wide range of Sandia products. There are significant opportunities to team with in-house (high-fidelity, multi-physics) code development teams, as well as daily opportunities to work on very challenging problems utilizing world-class computational resources.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Complete shock and vibration analysis for weapons systems, wind/water turbines, and missile payloads.
- Perform research in structural dynamics to apply to the design, development, analysis and testing of mechanical systems.
- Team with project and test engineers at Sandia and with Sandia’s external customers.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a relevant discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
- Experience Using Sierra Codes
- Finite Element Analysis Experience
- Structural Dynamic Analysis Experience
- Coursework and Research Experience Related to: Structural Acoustics, Reduced Order Modeling, Fatigue, Experimental Structural Dynamics, Elasticity, Continuum Mechanics, Signal Processing, Data Analysis, Uncertainty Quantification and Model Validation, and/or Probability and Statistics
The Analytical Structural Dynamics Department provides expertise defining, assessing, and predicting the structural dynamic performance of Sandia products. We partner with Sandia product designers to predict and define mechanical environments for the entire design life-cycle. We develop both linear and mildly non-linear models for computational simulation of a product's mechanical behavior. We assist product engineers in optimizing their designs early in a development program and to fully explore the product's performance space during final design qualification. We work closely with experimental structural dynamics experts at Sandia to develop validated models and optimal testing protocols. Our department develops state-of-the-art tools for characterizing and analyzing structural dynamics environments and their effects on structures ranging from full-scale weapon and spacecraft systems to micro-scale electro-mechanical devices.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.